Wednesday 10 June 2015

Imogen Woolley II



Imogen Woolley's interpretations of The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey .
"As part of my Final Year Collection I designed costumes for Eowyn Ivey's 'The Snow Child'. With beautifully crafted descriptions and imagery throughout, Ivey creates an almost supernatural landscape, which is both beautiful and curiously terrifying at the same time.  We see Alaska for what it is, but are taken on a journey that seems to be always questioning what is really happening.  The descriptions are whimsical and enchanting yet are completely pure, and depict the scenery magnificently. I really wanted my costumes to have a cold and wintery feel to them, looking at fashion and textile designers that have worked with layered items of clothing. I have particularly focused on japanese and scandinavian fashion for my shape inspiration as there is a sense of purity and simple shapes that i really liked about these, taking interesting textiles and working them onto simple garment shapes. For my colour pallet I have mainly taken inspiration from Alaskan Architecture, whereby I found in the small towns many of the buildings were beautiful muted primary tones. I then wanted to link this to neutral colours, giving quite a naive but depth to the costumes" Imogen Woolley

No comments:

Post a Comment