Sunday 8 January 2023

Diana Scherer II

 




It is 10 years since I first featured the work of Diana Scherer, in the last decade she has been perfecting her root weaving and growing many textile forms from different managed root growth.

“A root navigates, knows what is up and down, perceives gravity and can locate moisture and chemicals. Roots are incredibly strong. In their search for food and space they fight for every space they can find. I use this strength to create my work. I expose the subterranean life and natural network turns into a textile-like material. The dynamism of the plant makes it seem as if the work is making itself.

I have learned to deal with the autonomy of nature. Despite my intervention, the outcome is unpredictable every time. The interaction of control and letting go is an important element in my work.” Diana Scherer




 

No comments:

Post a Comment