Monday 4 May 2015

Rebecca Bowman


This is Rebecca Bowman's graduate collection, 'Long live the Explorer' AW 2016/17. Rebecca's interest in climbing is so overtly expressed in this collection. It is a practical collection for active women incorporating the styling of harnesses and climbing equipment.





"My collection was initially inspired by one of my main passions – climbing. 
I wanted to see how I could make the bold, strong rope and heavy hardware into something feminine and wearable. I developed the rope into its own fabric in some garments by flattening the rope in a heat press and individually sewing each piece, creating a mouldable and tactile fabric.                                                                                                                                 The outdoors, nature and sport provide a sense of freedom, which I wanted to show particularly through the dresses. I developed pleating techniques inspired by vintage tennis wear that created movement but could still be altered through the use of ropes. John Muir’s quotes have been an inspiration throughout and support when the sewing got tough!  

            “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money.               I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and                           get out into the mountains to learn the news. ” John Muir 



Nature has also been seen as origin for many crafts and traditions, which I explored and experimented with to see how I could use these in a modern way. I combined traditional smocking techniques with classic tailored shirts and used ideas from basket weaving to connect rope and fabric to create bold details." Rebecca Bowman
Acrylic jewelry pieces are by Maisie Welch 

No comments:

Post a Comment