Friday 4 October 2013

Mella Jaarsma I



Shadow puppetry is one of my favourite things and so of course these costumes by Mella Jaarsma are a joy to my heart I love there shape structure and  of course the drama which they are able to contain and stage.
"These three dresses are inspired by 'Kanda Empat', or four protectors who according to Balinese belief are guiding us through life starting from six months in the womb. These four ‘brothers’ (or forces) change name and shape, depending on our age and stage in life. I use animal shades as vehicles to transmit ideas, as human partners, as mythical appearances, as transporters, and as archetypes. Four figures are surrounding (protecting) the central part, which is the human body. It is like a spiritual shelter, the invisible layer of our existence." Mella Jaarsma 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment